Gnosis: everything you need to know about GNO
Annina delves into the world of crypto and blockchain, and shares her findings through comprehensible articles.
Martin Köppelmann, Stefan George
Invest in Gnosis today
Get started with BLOX and buy your favourite coins easily and quickly.
What is Gnosis?
Gnosis (GNO) is a cryptocurrency that provides a decentralized prediction market platform. The goal of the Gnosis platform is to create an open, transparent, and decentralized space where users can share and trade predictions. With Gnosis, users can place bets on events such as political elections, sports events, and stock prices.
The aim of Gnosis is to decentralize the prediction market and make it accessible to a broad audience. Gnosis was founded in 2015 and is built on the Ethereum blockchain. With its innovative approach to decentralized prediction markets and secure solutions, Gnosis has the potential to become a significant player in the blockchain industry.
How does Gnosis work?
Gnosis (GNO) is built on the Ethereum network and creates prediction markets based on smart contracts. Users make predictions about future events and bet on the outcomes of those events.
When a user makes a prediction, a market is created with various outcomes and an initial price for each of those outcomes. Other users can then bet on one of the outcomes by buying GNO tokens and placing them on their chosen outcome. As more users bet on a particular outcome, the price of that outcome will rise, while the prices of other outcomes will fall.
If the prediction comes true, automatic payouts are made to users who made the correct prediction. Users who chose the wrong outcome lose their bets.
The Gnosis platform employs a consensus mechanism called the 'Conditional Token Framework' to allow users to make predictions about future events. This mechanism guards against fraud and ensures the accuracy and transparency of prediction results.
In addition to these prediction markets, Gnosis also offers Gnosis Safe, a multi-signature wallet that secures users' asset holdings. This allows users to securely store and trade GNO tokens and other cryptocurrencies on the Ethereum network.
The GNO token
The GNO token allows users to participate in the prediction market platform and create a valuable ecosystem.
GNO tokens serve as the fuel for the Gnosis platform. Users must possess GNO tokens to access prediction markets and place bets on future events. The more GNO tokens a user holds, the more bets they can place and the more prediction markets they can create.
When users create new prediction markets, they pay a fee in GNO tokens that are burned within the platform. The burned GNO tokens reduce the total supply of the token, potentially increasing its value.
Additionally, a portion of the burned GNO tokens is distributed to GNO token holders as a reward for their participation in the platform. This is done through a mechanism called 'gnosisDAO,' in which GNO token holders can vote on the allocation of these rewards.
Gnosis also has a second token called OWL. This is used as a kind of premium token for users who place many bets and create prediction markets.
The Technology Behind GNO
GNO's technology is built on the Ethereum network and utilizes smart contracts to create and manage prediction markets.
Gnosis is based on the Conditional Token Framework (CTF), which forms the foundation of their prediction market system. Users bet with GNO tokens on the outcomes of these markets.
Gnosis also includes the Gnosis Safe, a multi-signature wallet for securely storing and trading GNO tokens and other cryptocurrencies on Ethereum. This enhances asset security and safeguards against potential security risks.
Gnosis employs Olympia, an off-chain Oracle system, to obtain and validate data on future events. Olympia collaborates with various data providers to gather reliable information about prediction markets on the Gnosis platform.
Gnosis has DutchX, a decentralized exchange (DEX), for users to trade GNO tokens and other cryptocurrencies without the need for central exchanges. DutchX uses an auction mechanism to establish fair market prices for different tokens.
The Gnosis ecosysteem
The Gnosis ecosystem comprises various components that work together as a platform for prediction markets and cryptocurrency trading. What are the key components of the Gnosis ecosystem?
- Gnosis platform: The core of the Gnosis ecosystem. The Gnosis platform is built on Ethereum and uses smart contracts to place bets and settle prediction markets.
- GNO token: The native cryptocurrency and fuel for the platform. Users must hold GNO tokens to access prediction markets and place bets on future events. The GNO token is also used as a reward for users actively participating in the platform.
- OWL token: A premium token for users who place many bets and create prediction markets. OWL tokens grant users access to certain features on the platform, such as reduced transaction fees and increased rewards for creating prediction markets.
- Gnosis Safe: A multi-signature wallet used to securely store and trade GNO tokens and other cryptocurrencies on the Ethereum network.
- Olympia Oracle: The system used to obtain and verify data about future events. Olympia collaborates with various data providers to gather reliable data on the outcomes of prediction markets, which is then used to settle prediction markets on the Gnosis platform.
- DutchX: A decentralized exchange (DEX) where users can trade GNO tokens and other cryptocurrencies without relying on central crypto exchanges. DutchX uses an auction mechanism to determine token prices, allowing users to trade at fair market prices.
- GnosisDAO: A decentralized autonomous organization (DAO) established to allow GNO token holders to vote on the allocation of rewards and the development of the Gnosis ecosystem.
Benefits of Gnosis
Every cryptocurrency has its advantages. Why do investors choose Gnosis?
- Price prediction features
- Highly experienced development team
- High cost-efficiency
- Transparency thanks to open-source code
- High speed and scalability
Drawbacks of Gnosis
No cryptocurrency is perfect, and Gnosis is no exception. What disadvantages should you consider when investing in Gnosis?
- Working with price predictions requires some knowledge
- Relatively small user base
- Complex platform for beginners
Who is the founder of Gnosis?
The cryptocurrency Gnosis (GNO) was founded by Martin Köppelmann and Stefan George, both German entrepreneurs and developers in the blockchain industry. Köppelmann has a background in mathematics and computer science and has previously worked on blockchain projects like Etherisc and Colendi. George has experience as a mobile app developer and has worked on projects for major companies such as Volkswagen and Audi.
Together, they founded Gnosis in 2015 as a prediction market protocol on Ethereum. The team grew rapidly, and Gnosis was launched in 2017 through an Initial Coin Offering (ICO), raising $12.5 million in less than 10 minutes.
In 2025 experts expect a minimal price of €299.35 and a minimal price of €991.57 in 2030.
Good time to get in?
View all key statistics of the past 24 hours here.
Use these figures to get a better picture of the Gnosis market.
GNO Return On Investment
See how much the price has risen or fallen over the years.
Historical Flow price
Here you can see Flow's daily prices, trading volume and market cap. Looking for a specific date? You can fill in the range all you want. Maybe you'll spot the one trend!
A video explanation of Gnosis
Ready for take-off?
Get started with BLOX and buy your favourite coins easily and quickly.